Monday, August 25, 2008

The Law of Perpetual Motion!

I really wish this law of nature didn't exist. I wish that once I sat on my couch for 20 minutes (to assure my baby that I'm not going anywhere else today and we don't have to be attached at the hip) that I could just hop up and clean as easily as I sat in the first place. Not the way it works so here I still sit looking at my dirty floors and picking Taryn up and setting her down every few minutes! So it is. At least I know when I get moving it will be easier to stay that way, at least till dinner.
I think that relationships could also fall into this category. Our relationships with others are either perpetually disappearing or continuing on at a lovely connected pace. I love reconnecting with friends I have fallen out of touch with. Especially when if feels as if we never lost the forward motion in our relationship in the first place!  I went to Laura Mitchell's wedding reception this past Friday, and it was so fun to see Ann and their whole family! The Mitchell's were friends with my parents when they went to BYU and our families have been friends ever since. Good times and fun memories! I actually felt like I had kept in better touch with Ann than I had in recent times because of these blessed blogs. I love reading my friends blogs or finding them on facebook and checking out pictures from their lives, finding out when marriages and births occurred. Definitely a blessing of this information age.
So again I ask, why is it so hard to contact people that I haven't contacted for a long time? I get all nervous when they don't write me back as quickly as I anticipated, did I say / write something wrong? We care far too much what other people think. I know first hand. I even got a little stressed about how open I was with Ann and Sarah, did I talk too much, etc.? Am I a walking, talking TMI? It is so silly. I have a live journal account too, and when I think something is too strange, akward, or personal I write about it there instead. I just read through it. I have some really good entries! Why am I such a chicken about sharing? Is it because I'm not as funny as some, well written as others, witty enough, honest enough, too honest? I suppose I could go on all day. Alas, I just try to remember this quote:
"What other people think of you is none of your business!"
It really is true. There is always someone better or worse than you at everything you do. Others will sometimes not like us, even if they have no reason or are wrong. I could stress myself out about such matters on a daily basis. All simple truths.
Reality. Others are just glad you share. Most people don't think you are bragging. Honesty is refreshing. Catching up with my friends for hours on cyberspace is a lot of fun and a great stress relief. I believe blogs and other means to share ourselves allow us to share our talents and words of wisdom (even when we are not feeling wise). I will continue to put myself out there, and talk myself into thinking that I'm really not that silly, foolish or TMI because I want to and I know you want to read! ;) And like Ann said in a recent post of hers, you just have to pretend you are so confident and then everyone will believe it.
I am funny and amazing. I am bordering on the worlds most accomplished blogger. My wisdom is profound and everyone wants to read it! Hey, that is a good start!
I guess my point is that it is important to reconnect, get our relationships with our family and friends moving again. Revive them. Even if it just means providing a way for you to find them, or looking for them. I think it is all part of the gathering! I can't speak for anyone else, but I love getting the chance to reconnect and be a better friend! I love finding out how people I knew and loved, how things turned out for them and remember that I love them still. I think that relationships are much more important than many other things in this life. Even more than I realize! I love you all, really I do! I wish I were a better friend regularly! Just know that I love you.

9 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh, the guilt ;) I am just a slow responder cause I only get about one second to myself these days. Hope you guys are doing great, and I promise I will respond one of these days!! Miss you guys.

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

What a good post Janelle. It really is true that we all have our hang ups of putting ourselves out there. My friend and I were just talking about this. We all pretend we have it all together, but really we don't. We sit there and compare ourselves to so and so. In reality they're faking it too. We have to learn to be happy with who and what we are. When we are confident in that, the real person shines through. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Karalee said...

Hey I love your buns off. I need some Janelle time in my life. It has been to long :)

Ann said...

Didn't that feel good? You're right! You are bordering on the worlds best blogger and you certainly ARE funny and amazning and you always have been. It WAS so fun seeing you at the reception--I'm so glad you guys came. I'm sure I'll see you again--we'll get together with the kids and I'd love to get a babysitter sometime so that you and I and Chels can get together.

. said...

You are too funny, but I totally feel what you say, I feel like such a bad friend at times. Life passes by so quickly sometimes and we get crazy. We have to recognize each of us is unique in our special way. I am so glad to have met you and you will never know what a blessing you have been in our lives!!!

Brooke said...

Janelle,
Well said...I have been enjoying your blog and seeing what your life has turned into. I am glad we found each other again!

Kristin said...

Awesome post. I love reading your perspective on line and how you put things. I'm so thankful for you!

The Ravsten's said...

I love peeking in on your world too. It's just great to see you and Steve with kids and living such an event filled life. I'm grateful for our memories together and love reading about your life since Denver.

Steph said...

I totally thought I was the only one who thought that way. How funny. I feel like I haven't been a good friend to you either. I pass your house at least twice a day and think of you often, but I never call or drop by. But I think about it all the time. Such a loser I am :)